35 Braintree Hill Office Park, Suite 201
Braintree, MA 02184
Keren has over two decades of experience in environmental and energy law, regulation and policy. Her practice focuses on environmental permitting and compliance for commercial, municipal, and university clients, with a focus on energy generation projects. Keren is a former Deputy General Counsel at the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, and Legal Counsel at the Massachusetts Port Authority.
Keren facilitates local, state and federal environmental, siting, land use and zoning approvals for land and water-based projects; including preparation and review of technical applications, participation in permit hearings, negotiations with permitting agencies, and permit appeal litigation. She has experience with wind, biomass, fuel cell, marine and natural gas generation facilities in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and California. Notably, she has significant Clean Air Act expertise, having served as lead air counsel in the permitting of nearly a dozen electric generation facilities, including a recently constructed 650 MW combined cycle facility.
Keren also provides environmental compliance and enforcement defense, including compliance counseling, regulatory interpretation, assistance with environmental audits, preparation and implementation of environmental management systems, negotiation of consent decrees and administrative orders, administrative hearings and trials.
Keren also has drafted comments and testimony on state and federal and environmental regulations impacting clients and testified at hearings before the federal and state agencies on same. She has worked on such matters for municipal light departments, public agencies and private corporations. Keren also advised Massachusetts governors on the impacts, support and opposition of pending environmental bills and recommended approval or veto.
- Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Harvard University, Professional Graduate-Level Certificate in Sustainability
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- City of Cambridge, Climate Protection Action Committee: 2008-present
- Green Decade Cambridge, founder and former President: 2004-2014
- Massachusetts Climate Action Network, Steering Committee, former Vice President: 2005-2011
- Department of Energy/Massachusetts Wind Working Group, Committee Chair: 2005-2007