Matthew L. Bly
1730 Rhode Island Ave, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
Mr. Bly joined Duncan & Allen as a Partner in September of 2020. His practice primarily focuses on matters affecting the U.S. energy and utility industries, including issues such as: utility rate design and regulatory ratemaking; contract drafting, negotiation, and interpretation; utility depreciation, accounting, and financial reporting requirements; mergers and acquisitions; transmission planning and systems integration; open-access requirements; federal vs. state jurisdiction; the governance, restructuring, expansion, and operation of organized wholesale energy markets; greenhouse gas regulation and renewable resource investment incentives; energy efficiency and sustainability; and Bulk Power System reliability standards, compliance, audits, and enforcement.
In a wide range of matters coming before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Ninth Circuits and various state regulatory commissions, Mr. Bly has served as a key advisor to numerous clients that include public power entities, municipalities and rural electric cooperatives, states and state agencies, large energy users, independent power producers, Native American Tribes, trade organizations, and grid-edge technology companies, among others.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- The George Washington University Law School, 2016, JD
- Walsh University, 2013, BA, Government and Foreign Affairs, magna cum laude
- Recognized in The Legal 500 USA - Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Named in the Public Utilities Fortnightly "2020 Fortnightly Under Forty" list